How to present information in the U.S.: Adding a PREVIEW STATEMENT to your introduction (Part 2)



As my previous blog entry explained, the introduction to a speech you give or an essay you write MUST include a thesis statement.

What else should it contain?    A preview statement.
Coloring page character with speech balloon
                                                                      http://www.edupics.com

Definition: A preview statement gives the audience or reader a general idea of the points you will make in the body of your presentation. GENERAL means, nothing specific – just an idea. By providing this information in the introduction, the reader or listener knows what information to expect and in what order you will share it. You can look at it as a roadmap for your audience.


I will use the thesis statements from my previous blog entry to show you how this is done.

For a speech-

Thesis Statement Example:


“The global village is extending itself to more students studying abroad than ever before. Students who enter new cultures will need academic support from the educational institutions they attend.”


Preview Statement Example:

Today I will share current trends regarding the number of students who now study abroad, discuss the academic needs of students who attend school outside their native countries and discuss how educational institutions can support international students.

Main Points:

  1. Research – trends and statistics in students studying abroad
  2. Needs of study abroad students
  3. Support recommendations for international students

For an essay -

Thesis Statement Example:


“As a curious and motivated student, I am ready to leave my native country in search of broadening my learning. Attending [insert name] will provide me the environment to gain new perspectives and experience new challenges in order to reach my personal and professional goals.”

Preview Statement Example:

Studying in [country of interest] to further my knowlege in [area of interest] will allow me to gain insight into this academic area outside [native country], permit me to become more aware of techniques used in this field, and further achieve my goal to become more cross-culturally aware of how my expertise can be used in diverse settings.



Main Points:


  1. Discuss academic interest
  2. Techniques/experience I already know/have related to this area of academic interest
  3. How I will use what I learned abroad in my native country when I return after graduation


For Speeches:
I. Introduction
A. Greeting
B. Attention getter
C. Credibility statement
D. Thesis statement
E. Preview of main points
Transition
II. Body
A. Main point #1
1. Subordinate point (e.g., "According to…")
a. Support (e.g., example, statistic, visual, testimonial)
b. Support
2. Subordinate point
a. Support
b. Support
Transition/Signpost
B. Main point #2
1. Subordinate point
a. Support
b. Support
2. Subordinate point
a. Support
b. Support
Internal Summary
C. Main point #3
1. Subordinate point
a. Support
b. Support
2. Subordinate point
a. Support
b. Support
Transition
III. Conclusion
A. Signal closing
B. Restate thesis
C. Review main points
1. Main point #1
2. Main point #2
3. Main point #2
D. Memorable statement or call to action

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post